The 407 Training visa is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or professional development. Please book a 20 min phone consultation to discuss your visa requirements.
You might be able to get this 407 visa if you:
- are sponsored (by an approved sponsor of a relevant class) to participate in workplace-based occupational training activities or classroom-based professional development activities
- are identified in an approved nomination by an Australian organisation (other than a Commonwealth agency)
- are invited (if the sponsor is a Commonwealth agency)
- meet the requirements of the visa
- have functional English language skills, to do the training and meet occupational health and safety standards
- have a genuine intention to stay temporarily in Australia
- have adequate financial support for yourself and accompanying family members while in Australia
- have adequate arrangements for health insurance while in Australia
- meet health and character requirements
- are at least 18 years of age (except in limited circumstances).
You might be asked to provide evidence that you can financially support yourself and your accompanying family members while in Australia on your 407 Training visa.
You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your period of stay, country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.
You are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia. You will not be covered by Australia’s national health scheme (Medicare) unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.
You must have adequate health insurance unless you are covered by Medicare. This applies to you and any dependent family members listed in the application.
You must meet certain character requirements. If your stay in Australia, including any time already spent in Australia is more than 12 months, you must obtain a police clearance if you are 16 years of age or older.
You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age
This applies to you and all the dependent family members listed in your application, whether they are migrating or not.
Debts to the Australian Government
You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.
This also applies to all dependent family members in your application who are 18 years of age or older.
Payment of salary or wages
You must be paid a salary or wages in accordance with Australian laws and practices.
If this is a volunteer position, you and your sponsor should complete the Acknowledgement of unpaid placement forms. Your sponsor should lodge them with the nomination.
About this 407 visa
The Training visa (subclass 407) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or professional development.
- There are three types of occupational training (nomination eligibility types) covered by this visa:
- workplace-based training required for registration
- structured workplace-based training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation
- training that promotes capacity building overseas, (this type includes the following categories:
- overseas qualification
- government support
- professional development.
Note: Workplace-based occupational training (not including professional development) must be for at least 30 hours
Note: Part-time, classroom-based study that is unrelated to your occupational training may be permitted, provided it does not interfere with your occupational training program. The unrelated classroom study cannot count towards any component of the training program and should be listed in your visa application
407 Occupational training required for registration
407 Occupational training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation
This type of occupational training is for people with recent and suitable experience in the nominated occupation, who are seeking to undertake a structured workplace-based training programme in relation to an occupation specified in the list of eligible skilled occupations.
407 Occupational training for capacity building overseas
- This type of occupational training includes the following categories:
- overseas qualification – This category enables students who are currently enrolled in a foreign educational institution and who are required to complete a period of practical training, research or observation to obtain their qualification, the opportunity to undertake up to six months structured workplace-based training in Australia.
- government support – This category allows for structured workplace-based occupational training which has the support of a government agency in Australia or the government in the home country of the nominated trainee.
- professional development – This category enables overseas employers to send their managerial or professional employees to Australia to undertake a tailored professional development programme of face-to-face teaching in a classroom or similar environment.